The Fann Mountains are a stunning range in Tajikistan, known for their rugged peaks, crystal-clear lakes, and stunning alpine landscapes. Trekking in the Fann Mountains offers adventurers the chance to explore this remote and untouched region on foot, with trails leading through valleys, over high passes, and past sparkling streams.
One of the highlights of trekking in the Fann Mountains is a visit to the breathtakingly beautiful Iskanderkul Lake. This alpine lake, located at an altitude of 2,255 meters, is fed by glacial meltwater and surrounded by towering peaks. The lake's crystal-clear waters are a deep shade of blue, and on a clear day, the surrounding peaks are reflected in its surface, creating a stunning mirror-like effect.
Trekking in the Fann Mountains and visiting Iskanderkul Lake is a truly unforgettable experience for adventure seekers and nature lovers alike.
01 Dushanbe to Iskanderkul
- Drive from Dushanbe to Iskanderkul, which takes around 4-5 hours.
- On the way, stop at Hulbuk Fortress and enjoy the scenic beauty of the Anzob Pass.
- Arrive at Iskanderkul and check into a guesthouse.
- Take a short hike around the lake to stretch your legs and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- Spend the day exploring the area around Iskanderkul Lake.
- Visit the nearby waterfalls, including the magnificent 38-meter-high waterfall called “Fan Niagara” and the Garmchashma hot springs.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch by the lake and take a swim in its refreshing waters.
03 Iskanderkul to Artuch
- Drive to Artuch, a picturesque alpine valley located in the Fan Mountains.
- Trek from Artuch to Chukurak Lake, which takes around 4 hours.
- Set up camp near the lake and enjoy dinner under the stars.
04 Chukurak Lake to Alauddin Lakes
- Continue trekking to Alauddin Lakes, which takes around 5-6 hours.
- On the way, enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Set up camp near the lake and enjoy the tranquility of the area.
05 Alauddin Lakes to Mutnoe Lake
- Trek to Mutnoe Lake, which takes around 4 hours.
- Mutnoe Lake is known for its crystal-clear waters and is a great place for swimming and fishing.
- Set up camp near the lake and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
06 Mutnoe Lake to Marguzor Lakes
- Trek to the Marguzor Lakes, a series of seven interconnected lakes known for their stunning turquoise color.
- Take a dip in the lakes and enjoy a picnic lunch by the water.
- Drive back to Iskanderkul for a final night at the guesthouse.
07 Iskanderkul to Dushanbe
- Depart from Iskanderkul and drive back to Dushanbe.
- On the way, stop at the ancient city of Penjikent and explore its historical sites.
- Arrive in Dushanbe in the evening and enjoy a farewell dinner at a local restaurant.
--> Iskandarkul Lake: The trek to Iskandarkul Lake takes you through beautiful valleys, past streams and waterfalls, and up into the mountains to reach this turquoise blue alpine lake. The lake is surrounded by snow-capped peaks and is a popular spot for camping and swimming.
--> Fann Mountains: The Fann Mountains are home to some of the highest peaks in Central Asia, including Chimtarga (5489m) and Energia (5120m). The trek through the Fann Mountains takes you through high alpine meadows, past glacial lakes, and over mountain passes with stunning views of the surrounding peaks.
--> Local Culture: Trekking in Iskandarkul and the Fann Mountains gives you a chance to experience the local culture of Tajikistan, including meeting local shepherds, staying in traditional homestays, and trying delicious Tajik cuisine.
--> Adventure: Trekking in Iskandarkul and the Fann Mountains is a true adventure, with challenging mountain passes, river crossings, and unpredictable weather adding to the excitement and thrill of the trek. It is an unforgettable experience for any adventure lover.
- Guide Service
Price upon request
Physical Fitness: Trekking in the Fann Mountains and Inskanderkul requires a good level of physical fitness as the routes can be challenging, with steep ascents and descents, high altitude and variable weather conditions. It is recommended to have some prior experience in trekking at altitude.;
Acclimatization: As you trek to higher elevations, it is important to allow your body time to acclimatize to the altitude. You should plan to take regular breaks, stay well hydrated, and listen to your body's signals. If you experience symptoms of altitude sickness, such as headache, dizziness, or nausea, it is important to descend to a lower altitude and seek medical attention if necessary.;
Weather: The weather in the Fann Mountains and Inskanderkul can be unpredictable, with sudden changes in temperature and occasional heavy rainfall. Be prepared with appropriate clothing and gear to stay warm and dry, even in adverse weather conditions.